Manager, Human Resources and Operations
Position : Manager, Human Resources and Operations
Employer : CREA
Location: New Delhi, India
Founded in 2000, CREA is a feminist human rights organisation based in New Delhi, India. It is one of the few international women's rights organisations based in the global South, led by Southern feminists, which works at the grassroots, national, regional, and international levels. Together with partners from a diverse range of human rights movements and networks, CREA works to advance the rights of women and girls, and the sexual and reproductive freedoms of all people. CREA advocates for positive social change through national and international fora, and provides training and learning opportunities to global activists and leaders through its Institutes.
Scope and Responsibilities
The Manager, Human Resources and Operations is a dynamic leader who ensures CREA's strategic vision, mission, and goals. Increases public awareness and visibility of the organization and serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the organization’s various programs.
Human Resources Functions
- Create, finalize and implement all office policies related to staff and financial management (e.g. human resources, administration, finances etc.).
- Recruit new staff, including review and response to job applicants, and manage the induction and orientation of new staff members, in coordination with relevant teams/departments.
- Support staff to understand and follow organizational policies and guidelines, and assist with interpretation of human resources guidelines as required.
- Manage CREA’s staff evaluation process, ensuring that all directors/managers and staff are aware of their respective responsibilities and timelines for completion of evaluations (probation, mid-term and final evaluations).
- Coordinate staff meetings and organize and coordinate the annual staff retreat.
- Overseeing staff compensation and benefits.
- In liaison with the Executive Director, and relevant Board Members as required, write annual updates for Board Members, organize and coordinate annual Board of Directors meetings, and maintain Board files.
- Ensure submission and approval/filing of staff trip reports.
- Maintaining Google calendar.
- Coordinate terms of reference, in consultation with relevant program staff, and issue contracts for consultants and other external service providers.
- Liaising with the finance department in terms of accounting procedures.
- Preparing terms of reference for all consultants in liaison with program staff.
- Update and maintain complete roster and feedback forms of consultants/resource persons/vendors.
- Supervising and updating filing systems, including lists of equipment and materials.
Senior Leadership Team (SLT) meetings
- Manage key SLT processes and serve as an important bridge between Executive Director and Directors to ensure internal alignment on key processes, compliance with deadlines and timelines.
- Facilitate/coordinate SLT meetings
- Maintain SLT meeting schedule and update on Slack/Google drive
- Draft agenda for SLT meetings in consultation with Directors and Executive Director
- Prepare minutes of the meeting with action points and share with SLT via Slack
- Ensure timely follow up and update via Slack on actions taken and pending action points
- Create annual calendar based on staff recommendations of key external events and conferences, and ensure to include in SLT conversations
Outreach and dissemination
- Create and anchor a process for streamlined and comprehensive CREA constant contact database
- Create different categories and channels within constant contact to guide dissemination and outreach
- Ensures a participatory and healthy work environment, guided by approved personnel policies governing the work of staff, consultants and Interns.
- Should be able to support staff in understanding, following and interpreting HR policies as needed; lead or assist Program Managers and other staff in problem solving related to HR issues.
- Ensure a participatory and healthy work environment, guided by approved personnel policies governing the work of staff, consultants and interns.
- Create system for addressing general enquiries received via phones, CREA general emails, referrals
- Organisational Learning : create schedule for discussions/ brown bags where staff as well as occasional external experts are invited to present
An ideal candidate should have the following qualities.
- Bachelor's degree required in Business, HR or related fields. Advanced degree preferred. Minimum of 12-15 years’ experience working in the non-profit sector in India and/or South Asia. Atleast 6-7 years’ of experience as a Manager.
- Demonstrated experience in programmatic roles within this sector with one or more specific areas of programmatic interest that she will continue at CREA.
- Experience working with bilateral, international and non-governmental organizations as well as donors.
- Effective internal and external communication skills and the ability to engage and appropriately utilize the skills and experience of both staff and Board; strong advocacy skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to recruit, lead and marshal the talents of a competent and creative staff. The ability to build trust and teamwork.
- A management style that is goal-oriented yet flexible; that respects the capabilities and independence of staff yet provides opportunities for mentorship and a clear sense of direction.
- Excellent writing ability and fluency in English; knowledge of additional Indian languages an asset.
- Sound political, interpersonal and managerial judgment; the highest level of personal and professional integrity and quality standards.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, at least one-third of the year.
CREA promotes pluralism and equal opportunity and is committed to diversity in its staffing and to the maintenance of an environment free of discriminatory employment practices. CREA’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals. No individual shall be discriminated against because of his or her actual or perceived age, caste, class, disability, marital status, religion or sexual orientation. Compensation will be based on experience and internal equity. A generous benefit package is included.
Please send a cover letter, stating your interest and why you are a suitable candidate for this position, along with your CV firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th July 2018. Please include in the subject line the name of the position you are applying for. You may also send your cover letter and CV by mail to:
CREA (Creating Resources for Empowerment in Action)
7 Jangpura B, Mathura Road,
New Delhi 110014
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and asked to come in for an interview.